Marriage License Requirements
Lake County, Indiana
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Both applicants must be present at the time of application with a valid driver’s license or a state identification card, for proof of residency, identity, and date of birth. Social security number is also required.
- If at least one of the applicants is a resident of Lake County, the fee is $25.00, payable by cash only.
- If neither applicant is not an Indiana resident, the fee is $65.00, payable by cash only. The application and subsequent wedding must take place in the County they applied in.
- If either applicant is an Indiana resident, but live outside of Lake County, they must go to the county in which they reside.
- Once the license is obtained, Indiana residents may be married anywhere in the state of Indiana. The records will be recorded in whatever county you applied in.
- If the couple is being married in another state, they must go to that state and follow that state’s requirements.
- The license is valid for 60 days, and can be used the same day it is applied for. There is no waiting period.
- Judges are available Monday thru Friday, 11:00 A.M. to 12:45 P.M., fee is required.
- Lake County is now accepting on line applications. The couple will complete the form on line at https://courts.in.gov/marriage. The couple will arrive at the clerk's office and inform the staff that the form was completed on line. The record will be searched in Incite and completed by a Deputy Clerk.
- If applicants are under 18 years of age, please refer to Indiana State Statues.
Applications are processed from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
For more information, please call;
Michael A. Brown
Lake County Clerk as of 9/22/2022